Choosing the right vacuum cleaner can feel like trying to find a needle in a haystack especially if you don’t know what exactly you are looking for. This is because the market is awash with different types and models. Not to worry though, with expert advice from Only Canister Vacuum, choosing the right vacuum cleaner is quite a breeze. Let us look at the considerations to keep in mind when choosing.
Choosing By Type.
The best place to start is choosing a vacuum cleaner by type. The type of cleaner you need will more often than not be determined by the type of cleaning you do. If you have lots of rugs or wall to wall carpets then an upright vacuum cleaner with a bag would be the best. Canister vacuum cleaners are much easier to maneuver when working on tile, laminate and hardwood floors. Handheld vacuums would be great for lighter tasks while the robotic type is ideal for the set-and- go cleaning. Here are some pros and cons for each type of vacuum cleaner.
Upright Vacuum Cleaners.
- Pros. Uprights tend to be more pocket-friendly compared to canister vacuum cleaners. They are especially effective for deep cleaning carpets and are quite easy to store.
- Cons. They are labor intensive since they require much pulling and pushing. They are quite noisy too.
Canister Vacuum Cleaners.
- Pros. These are much better than uprights when cleaning upholstery, drapes bare floors and stairs. They are much quieter and lighter since they have a separate power head.
- Cons. They are much bulkier and harder to store due to the hose and wand.
Stick Vacuum Cleaners.
- Pros. They are much lighter and ideal for cleaning messes that need quick attention.
- Cons. They are not good for carpet cleaning.
Handheld Vacuum Cleaners.
- Pros. They are handy for light tasks. They are ideal for pet fur on upholstery and car interior.
- Cons. Not as powerful as a full sized upright or canister models.
Robotic Vacuum Cleaners.
- Pros. Robotic vacuums actually work while you rest. You can control them using an app on your phone.
- Cons. Not ideal for deep cleaning especially on rugs.
Central Vacuum Cleaners.
- Pros. They are quite simple to use since you only move with the hose and power head. They are very quiet.
- Cons. Quite pricey and may need professional installation. The hose may be quite bulky and a challenge to store.
Like many other machines, vacuum cleaners have features that improve the cleaning experience and actually make work easy. Here are some of the features and the gadgetry you might want to consider.
- Add-On Cleaning Tools: Most vacuums have basic tools that would do for most cleaning jobs. These include a narrow tool for crevices, a little upholstery brush for dusting etc. Machines with powered intakes can do a more thorough job than ones with a traditional suction intake. Edge cleaners can be much more useful for wall-to-wall carpet cleaning.
- Bagged Vs. Bagless: Upright and canister vacuums have an option of either a bin or a bag for collecting dirt. Bagged vacuum collect more dirt and do not release dirt into the air when emptying. Bagless vacuums, on the other hand, can save you a lot of money since you don’t have to buy bags but then you have clean and replace filters more often. Emptying the bins and cleaning the filters can be a messy affair.
- Bare floor options: These are features and equipment that help when cleaning vinyl, hardwood and other uncarpeted floor surfaces.
- Brush Agitator: This is found beneath the machine and may be useful in dislodging grit and dirt from the carpet to ease uptake. Most models have a switch that turns the agitator off when cleaning bare floor. The switch also makes it hard for bedspreads and throw rugs to be tangled in the roller.
- Filters: Some models have high-efficiency particulate air filtration (HEPA) which may help filter fine particles from escaping through the exhaust.
- Cord control: Some vacuums let you rewind the cord with the push of a button making cleaning and movement much easy since some of them come with cords with up to 30 feet.
With the above considerations, you are good to go. But, it is recommended that you can go further by going to a nearby store (especially when ordering online) and try out a similar model you are interested in ordering. You can push, turn, pull and lift, check out the features, controls and the actual size. You might also want to look out for bargains, coupons and upcoming promotions.