Hydrocodone is an opioid and falls under the category of a narcotic analgesic. It is used to get relief from pain extending from moderate to severe. It is accessible under different brand names and is more commonly used than many other drugs that are used for the same purpose. Some of the commonly used brand names are Lortab, Maxidone, Dolorex Forte, and Zydone. A combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen is used to get rid of the pain. Acetaminophen is also a pain reliever which reduces fever as well.
How Does Hydrocodone Work On Brain.
It works on central nervous system and makes the brain of the user less active. It reduces pain and cough. It leaves its impact mainly on the central nervous system but its effects on intestines cannot be ignored.
Hydrocodone Predicaments the delta-receptor, mu-receptor, kappa-receptor, and sigma-receptor which are found in the brain and causes numbness.
Working Efficiency Of Hydrocodone In The Body.
It reaches its peak level in the blood plasma almost after 1.3 hours. It is most commonly taken after 4 to 6 hours. To make it work more instantaneously, some people inhale the powder derived from hydrocodone which is a hazardous act. Wearing off time varies from person to person. It remains in the urine for a comparatively lesser period than in the blood. It is not advisable for everyone as it is addictive. So, those who have any history of drug abuse must take it carefully. It is also not advisable with some other drugs that are used as the pain reliever.It can cause sleepiness, difficulty in breathing, nausea, vomiting, and can lower the heart rate as well. Overdose can be disastrous.
Hydrocodone VS Oxycodone.
Here we can have a look at the similarities between the two.
- Both are recommended for treating pain whether short-term or long-term. Short-term use can be described as after surgery or any injury whereas long term use may include chronic problems like cancer,arthritis or a chronic cough.
- Both effects the central nervous system by making receptors less efficient that are responsible for sending messages to the brain in the case of pain.
- Both can be purchased only if prescribed by the doctor.
- Both can be taken alone and by making a combination with other drugs as well. Acetaminophen and oxycodone can be taken together for more effective results. It leaves a tranquil impact on the user’s mood and by the time medicine starts working on the pain. Hydrocodone is most commonly used with antihistamines that control acough and reduce pain at the same time.
- Both drugs take 30 to 60 minutes to work on pain and are found equally beneficial.
- Both are regarded as schedule II drugs. Schedule II drugs are those which have impending chances of being abused.
- They share the same side effects as tiredness, giddiness, nausea, itching, dry mouth, and inability to perform motor skills.
Along with the similarities, there are some differences as well which are as follows:
- The risks of having an addiction are higher with hydrocodone than with oxycodone. That’s why its use has been constrained in many European countries.
- It is observed when an equal amount of hydrocodone and oxycodone is used with acetaminophen, the oxycodone is found 1.5 times more effective than hydrocodone.
- There are more chances of having constipation and stomach pain with hydrocodone.